Software Development Kit
Matrox Imaging Library X
Matrox® Imaging Library (MIL) X1 is a comprehensive collection of software tools for developing machine vision, image analysis, and medical imaging applications. MIL X includes tools for every step in the process, from application feasibility to prototyping, through to development and ultimately deployment.
The software development kit (SDK) features interactive software and programming functions for image capture, processing, analysis, annotation, display, and archiving. These tools are designed to enhance productivity, thereby reducing the time and effort required to bring solutions to market.
Image capture, processing, and analysis operations have the accuracy and robustness needed to tackle the most demanding applications. These operations are also carefully optimized for speed to address the severe time constraints encountered in many applications.
MIL X at a glance
- Solve applications rather than develop underlying tools by leveraging a toolkit with a more than 25-year history of reliable performance
- Tackle applications with utmost confidence using field-proven tools for analyzing, classifying, locating, measuring, reading, and verifying
- Base analysis on monochrome and color 2D images as well as 3D profiles, depth maps, and point clouds
- Harness the full power of today’s hardware through optimizations exploiting SIMD, multi-core CPU, and multi-CPU technologies
- Support platforms ranging from smart cameras to high-performance computing (HPC) clusters via a single consistent and intuitive application programming interface (API)
- Obtain live data in different ways, with support for analog, Camera Link®, CoaXPress®, DisplayPort™, GenTL, GigE Vision®, HDMI™, SDI, and USB3 Vision® interfaces
- Maintain flexibility and choice by way of support 64-bit Windows® and Linux® along with Intel® and Arm® processor architectures
- Leverage available programming know-how with support for C, C++, C#, and CPython languages
- Experiment, prototype, and generate program code using MIL CoPilot interactive environment
- Increase productivity and reduce development costs with Matrox Vision Academy online and on-premises training.
In addition to the thorough manual testing performed prior to each release, MIL continuously undergoes automated testing during the course of its development. The automated validation suite—consisting of both systematic and random tests—verifies the accuracy, precision, robustness, and speed of image processing and analysis operations. Results, where applicable, are compared against those of previous releases to ensure that performance remains consistent. The automated validation suite runs continuously on hundreds of systems simultaneously, rapidly providing wide-ranging test coverage. The systematic tests are performed on a large database of images representing a broad sample of real-world applications.
Latest key additions and enhancements2, 3
- Deep learning model for object detection
- Deep learning inference using an Intel integrated GPU and NVIDIA GPU.
- 3D surface matcher
- 3D rectangle and box finders
- Advanced 2D geometric matcher
- Support for DotCode symbology
- Improved support for PDF417 symbologies
- Control over hybrid architecture found in recent Intel Core® processors
Field-proven vision tools
Image analysis and processing tools
Central to MIL X are tools for calibrating; classifying, enhancing, and transforming images; locating objects; extracting and measuring features; reading character strings; and decoding and verifying identification marks. These tools are carefully developed to provide outstanding performance and reliability, and can be used within a single computer system or distributed across several computer systems.
MIL CoPilot interactive environment
Matrox Profiler is a Windows-based utility to post-analyze the execution of a multi-threaded application for performance bottlenecks and synchronization issues. It presents the function calls made over time per application thread on a navigable timeline. Matrox Profiler allows the searching for, and selecting of, specific function calls to see their parameters and execution times. It computes statistics on execution times and presents these on a per function basis. Matrox Profiler tracks not only MIL X functions but also suitably tagged user functions. Function tracing can be disabled altogether to safeguard the inner working of a deployed application.
- 64-bit Windows 10 (Versions 1607 to 22H2) and Windows 11 (Version 21H2 and 22H2)
- Visual Studio 2017, and 2019 (unmanaged C++, and C# with .NET Framework 4.83 or .NET 63)
- CPython 3.7 and 3.9
- 64-bit Ubuntu 20.04 and 22.04 LTS
- 64-bit Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.6 and 9.0
- 64-bit SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 SP4
- GNU Compiler Collection (for C/C++) and Python from Linux distribution
- .NET 5 (for C#)
MIL X for Arm
The majority of processing, analysis, annotation, display, and archiving functionality in MIL X is also available to run on Arm Cortex®-A family processors, specifically those employing the Armv8-A 64-bit architecture. The processing and analysis functions are optimized for speed using the Neon™ SIMD architecture extension. MIL X for Arm is supported on appropriate 64-bit Linux distributions, like the one from Ubuntu. Image capture can be accomplished using the GenTL, GigE Vision or Video4Linux2 interfaces. MIL X for Arm is available to select users as a separate package upon qualification. For more information, contact Matrox Imaging sales.
Training and support
Matrox Vision Academy
Matrox Vision Academy provides all the expertise of live classroom training, with the convenience of on-demand instructional videos outlining how to get the most out of MIL X vision software. Available to customers with valid MIL X maintenance subscriptions, as well as those evaluating the software, users can seek out training on specific topics of interest, where and when needed. Regularly scheduled live classroom training is also offered at Matrox Imaging Headquarters.
Matrox Vision Academy aims to help users increase productivity, reduce development costs, and bring applications to market sooner. For more information, contact Matrox Vision Academy.
Matrox Professional Services
Backed by the Matrox Vision Squad—a team of high-level vision professionals—Matrox Professional Services offer more in-depth support, recommending best methods with the aim of helping customers save valuable development time and deploy solutions more quickly. For more information on pricing and scheduling, contact Matrox Imaging sales.
MIL X maintenance program
For more information, please refer to the Matrox Imaging Software Maintenance Programs.